by Christine Baird

January 27, 2010

"Perusing" our Text

I looked, quite thoroughly, through the book before our first day of class and the first thing I noticed, was that I've read many of these stories before. I don't mean that in the sense that the themes of the text are familiar to me, but that I have literally read many of these poems, short stories and essays before. In AP Lit to be exact. Of these stories my favorites that we covered, that I would recommend to anyone are: Trifles by Susan Glaspell (this one will make you think twice before you underestimate a woman again), The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe (a classic), Cathedral by Raymond Carver (an eye opener) and A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor (twisted). Besides that though, titles that caught my attention were stories I have not read but have always been interested in. I have seen so many versions of Cinerella, everything from the Disney Classic to the dark German version. I thought it wold be fun to read the Three Tellings of Cinderella, which fortunately is a part of our reading assignment. The English Patient, Peter Pan and The Tempest by Shakespear are stories in our book that I have always wanted to know more about, or read the story rather than just know the movie. Maybe I can finally get a chance to do just that this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment